Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Getting started - Why I began poledancing

I've dreaded this over and over in my head. To start a poleblog or not. I think a blog would be a wonderful way to share my pole-adventures, my experiences, keeping track of my progress, connecting with the community and just talk pole. The only reason I find not to start a blog would be if I forget about it after a couple of posts, and let it wither and die. But as my new years resolution was to not let negative thoughts get me down, I've decided to try this. So here we go (:

First, a little about myself and how I slowly, but steadily fell in love with poledance.

My name is Lisabeth Marie, but I usually just go by the nickname Li. I'm 20 years old and live with my mom in a small town in Norway. For a couple of years I had to move to my dad, who lives in a slightly larger city. Large enough to have a poledancing studio.

I had heard the terms poledancing and polefitness before, but never really thought about it. In my mind it was just like any another activity people fill in their sparetime with. But at my second year at highschool, there were some flyers about a poledance-studio lying around in the hallways. I picked one up, read it and thought "this sounds interesting, wouldn't mind trying out a class or two". And that was the first time I thought about getting into the art of poledance.

Due to circumstances I never got around to the classes, and soon after I moved home to my mom.

A year after I moved home, a girl I knew from the time at my dads started posting pictures and videos of herself poledancing. I was in awe. Mesmerized. She had started taking lessons at the studio a couple of months ago and was already THAT GOOD! Unfortunately, I just got hit by the negative thoughts. I will never get good at poledance. I will never be able to do those things. There's not even a point in trying. There isn't even a studio in my town anyways, so its better to just forget about it.

But I kept following her progress in social media. Still in awe. Still hypnotized. Wishing that I could have a talent like that. Slowly I started obsessing over pole, watching videos on youtube and reading up on it on the internet, while cursing myself for not giving it a try while I had a chance.

And then, another girl I knew from the years at my dads, posted a picture of herself in a gemini-pose. She had also started at the studio. And that was the last little push I needed. If all these ordinary, no-superpower girls, whom I personally know, can do it, then so can I! The only reason I can't poledance is beacause I haven't had a chance to learn it yet.

So I took my laptop, read as much info as I could find about poles, grabbed my mastercard and ordered an X-pole 45mm Chrome. I know myself very well: if I didn't order it there and then, I might never have done it - EVER. And to this day I have never regretted the impulsive order that ensured me to get to know poledancing. And I am deeply thankfull to the girls who pushed me to take the chance. They don't know it, but I would never get my ass around to do this if it weren't for their love for pole, and sharing their progress with me on facebook.

Since there is still no studio in my hometown, I'm teaching myself, which is pretty hard, but I think I will save that story for later (:

No comments:

Post a Comment