Friday, April 25, 2014

The victory of superman, and other happenings!

Today I did a move that I've had trouble with for a long time. For me it was ten times harder than it looked like on videos, I just couldn't seem to figure it out. Since I started working on my leg-hangs I've slowly been working towards this special move. For a lot of polers it's a milestone, and for some even the mark itself between beginner and intermediate. Do you know which move I'm talking about?

Today I finally landed the superman!

Screenshot from vid,  you can watch the vid on instagram
My particular struggle with this move at first was getting into it. I just couldn't find a way that was right for me to move into it from. Then I watched Jamilla Deville's Art of Pole dvd's and got my eyes open for the possibilities of the gemini and started practicing. I had never really thought about the outside leg-hang as important, and generally I had been avoiding it because of the pain, but when I watched her dvd's I saw the possibilities, and started to work hard on my leg-hangs.

And when I got comfortable in my leg-hangs, I started to work towards superman. The problem now was the legs. I wasn't able to turn my hips from sideways to the floor without massive pain, so much that everytime I got close I had to break it off. Annoying and frustrating.....

Then I turned to youtube. Started to watch videos, tutorials and so on. Anything with the superman in it. I was busy analyzing everything when I noticed how a girl used her arm to push herself from the pole while in gemini. That was what I was taught too, except she held her hand higher, pushed herself further from the pole and she held her hand in a different way. Could it really be that easy?

My biggest bruise yet, on the inner thigh
Of course it wasn't easy. It hurt like a bitch, I was scared of letting my hips drop, felt like I had no control and so on. Took a couple of tries before I got it. But oh, what a glorious moment it was when I finally did it. I still remember the smile on my face, the tingeling feeling in my stomach of pure joy and victory. And everything I had to do were those things. Holding my hand different, higher, and pushing myself further from the pole.

I feel that I'm in a good pattern now. Every time I get a little better, a little stronger, and I feel like I'm finally able to harvest the fruits of my hard work. I came up with another combo the other day too, that I'm working towards. Looking forward to the day that I finally get it!

Otherwise I'm happy to announce that I've officially signed up for the instructor-program! And I even got an appointment with the bank next week. It's nothing huge, just a kind of counseling meeting about maybe opening my own business in pole, how I'm gonna go about it, where to start, how to get the money and so on. But I'm really excited! Stuff is happening yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment